CURRENT COVID-19 POLICY FOR VOLUNTEERS
We require volunteers to be vaccinated against COVID, unless there are health or religious reasons for not doing so. In these latter cases, we ask that unvaccinated volunteers be tested before they come to volunteer.
All volunteers will be subject to having their temperature taken when they arrive. If one’s temperature is above a certain threshold (to be determined by generally accepted practices), then the volunteer will not be allowed to work in the kitchen.
All volunteers and staff are required to wear face masks AT ALL TIMES, both inside and outside.
We will restrict the number of people in the kitchen to a maximum of 10, except during the peak holiday period, and we will use the dining room as overflow food preparation space as the need arises.
This policy was decided by the Loaves and Fishes Management Board at its August 21, 2021, meeting. This policy goes into effect immediately and will remain in effect as long as this notice is posted. The board will review these policies periodically as conditions change and as the need arises.
Volunteers are the cornerstone of our program. We are happy to accept both one-time and regular volunteers and have a need most weekends and federal holidays.
- SERVERS: work from 10 am to 1 pm each day we are open on Saturdays, Sundays and federal holidays, setting up and cleaning the dining room and kitchen, and serving each seated guest. This opportunity for individuals and groups is available to both one-time and returning volunteers.
- KITCHEN VOLUNTEERS: work from 9 am to 12 pm, cooking and plating food and assisting in the dining room. Generally, kitchen staff are groups of returning volunteers who commit to cooking one day each month.
TO VOLUNTEER: If you are interested in volunteering as an individual or a group, please sign up below to confirm your attendance for one of our available volunteer slots within 48 hours of the scheduled weekend or holiday. If you have a group of 10 or more who’s interested in volunteering and/or sponsoring a meal, please contact our Volunteer Services team at 240-855-5874 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For future volunteer dates, sign up spots will be available by the 15th of the current month for the next month. Please continue to check the volunteer sign up page periodically for future dates.
We will send reminder emails five days before your scheduled shift and one day before your scheduled shift.
TO CANCEL: If you sign-up for a shift and can no longer make it, please email email@example.com to remove your name from that date. Understanding that emergencies and other conflicts may arise, we request that you make all cancellations at least 48 hours before your scheduled shift when possible. This helps us make sure we have appropriate coverage in the kitchen!
Current Volunteer Sign-up Sheets
No sheets currently available at this time.
- Children who are accompanied by a parent are welcomed.
- If any students are looking to complete SSL hours, they must stay for the entire shift.
- Volunteers must wear closed-toe shoes for safety purposes. Additionally, we prefer if volunteers have a sleeved T-shirt (no tank tops).
- Hair nets, gloves and aprons are provided. If you would prefer not to wear a hairnet, your hair must be covered completely somehow.
- Please feel free to bring your own water.
- Donations are welcomed; please reach out to Volunteer Services via phone or email to confirm what donations are needed.